Thank you for joining us this month as we take up “The Invitation” and join together with thousands of YWAMers from around the world as we pray and hear from God. This month we join with many around the world as we pray again for the Coronavirus.
Many YWAM students have been commissioned to go home following the outreach phases of their training programs or for their outreach phase. They have been sent home with a sense of purpose. As Andy Byrd, one of the leaders of YWAM’s campus in Kona, Hawaii, spoke to a group of students in Hawaii before they headed home, he called this “a season of transformation different than anyone thought.” Andy said he believes numerous testimonies will come in of neighbors, moms and dads, siblings and others close to us accepting Jesus for the first time.
YWAMers are also now connected and communicating more within their sphere of influence and with each other. Sean Lambert of YWAM San Diego/Baja stated there is an “unbelievable flurry of communication initiatives . . . It’s stunning. . . I think God’s heart is that all YWAMers communicate to those in their relational sphere of influence.”
With our lives turned topsy turvy, we have different opportunities than we likely would have had without this crisis. Many people are lonely and hurting as a result of the pandemic. YWAMers have met the needs of these people in new and unexpected ways. Here are just a few examples:
- One YWAM family is preparing takeaway meals for the women coming to a refuge for those who have been trafficked or are victims of abuse.
- Some YWAMers in Brazil are distributing food baskets to street prostitutes.
- A YWAM couple in England sensed God leading them last year to work with their church to start a food bank. This ministry now has “exploded.” Many have donated food or have offered to make deliveries. One recipient texted “You are a God send. Without you I would have no food.” Another recipient asked “Sorry to bother you, but could you tell me how to find Jesus? I feel in my heart that he is calling me.” Several of the volunteers signed up to join the church’s Alpha course.
- YWAM Harpenden, England is using their 3D printer to make protective masks for front-line workers.
- YWAM Townsville, Australia is coordinating the Care Army in their city, which is an initiative to assist seniors and the most vulnerable in their community during the virus crisis.
If you only have a few moments to pray, ask God to show you who to reach out to who might be lonely or desperate and pray for them. Ask God to give you an opportunity to share Jesus with them. Thank you for being part of The Invitation. We would love to receive stories from you regarding how you prayed and what opportunities God gave you to share Jesus. You can email us at [email protected].
Prepare to Pray:
Read this story from a YWAMer in a Middle Eastern country on lock-down:
“Three weeks ago we were feeling sorry for ourselves that we were stuck in our houses. A group of us were praying and as we were praying, God directed our prayers toward our neighbours. We live in an extremely poor part of town and most of our neighbours have ‘blue collar’ jobs where they live on what they make in that day. As the lock-down in our nation started, most of our neighbours lost their jobs and their source of income. As we prayed, the Lord laid a burden on our hearts to somehow reach out to the very needy in our area and try to help.
“Our apartment building has a guard. His name is Joseph. He is the neighbourhood connection. We asked him if he knew about ten families that we could help (that was the money we had gathered). He said Yes! Some of the neighbourhood men had already come to him with tears in their eyes and asked for work or a handout because they had nothing. He quickly wrote down ten families that needed help. Then he said, ‘There are more.’ We prayed again and asked our community for an offering and we gathered enough to buy twenty big food boxes. Each box costs $35 and has the basics: rice, oil, powdered milk, canned meat, spaghetti, tuna, sardines, canned beans, tea, sugar.
“We put a message on each box sharing with them that God loves them, and we do too. We also asked in the message if they had prayer requests. So they wrote prayer requests and handed them back to Joseph for us to pray. We took the requests and went to prayer getting words of encouragement and Scriptures to give back to them. We had the chance to share the Gospel as well in some of the messages.
“Now we have heard that the lock-down here will last until the end of April and possibly through Ramadan which ends May 23. The needs in our neighbourhood are growing. But, even in the midst of the lock-down, God is on the move.”
Contemplate and pray:
- Similar to this group feeling sorry for themselves, what are you grieving? What burdens are you carrying? Ask God to speak to you about these thoughts.
- Consider the guard Joseph in this example. Consider him a person of peace. Ask the Lord to reveal to you a person of peace in your neighbourhood that might lead you to others.
- Ask the Lord to put people on your heart who you could reach out to from your various spheres of influence. Make a list of these people and pray for them and for God to make a way for you to share Jesus with them.
- Ask the Lord to show you creative ways to share Jesus with people you might not have had the opportunity to witness to without the coronavirus crisis.
- Think about the opportunities for long-term relationships with the people you reach out to. Like asking for prayer requests in this example, what are some things you can do to create quality relationships?
- Praise God for any good you have seen as a result of coronavirus.
How To Pray – Global Outreach and Coronavirus:
- The goal for Global Outreach 2020 is for one billion people to make decisions for Christ during the month of May. Pray for this goal to be reached.
- Pray for YWAM staff and students who have returned home due to coronavirus. Pray for God to open the hearts of their families, friends and neighbours. Pray for the YWAMers to see this situation through redemptive eyes. (“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28 NKJV).)
- Pray for effective evangelising using online technology in creative ways. Pray for wise choices of technology. Pray for those with limited technological resources to be able to connect.
- Ramadan continues through May 23. Pray for Muslims to have healthcare, food, health, and for them to find Jesus as their saviour. (Prayer guide available at: www.pray30days.org.)
- Pray for a global spiritual awakening and revival.
- Pray for boldness and conviction of each YWAMer to share Jesus with five people during the month of May.
- Pray for YWAMers to go deeper and rest in Him. Pray for each of us to use our opportunities in this pandemic to further understand and embrace our identify in Christ.
- According to worldometers.info, as of this writing 210 countries have had coronavirus cases. Pray for all 210 countries and that their leaders will receive wisdom from God. Praise God for all front-line workers. Pray that God will be glorified in each nation and that His name will go forth in power in each nation.
- Pray for those who are grieving and hurting. Pray for comfort, help and restoration.
- In the Easter address of YWAM co-founder Darlene Cunningham to YWAM she talked about pruning. Pray this would be a time for pruning so that more fruit will result. Pray for YWAMers to hear from God during this time. Pray also for wisdom for YWAM leaders in knowing what programs and ministries to keep, what to discontinue and what new ones to add.
- In co-founder Loren Cunningham’s Easter address to YWAM he talked about 2020 as a breakthrough year. Pray for YWAMers to have breakthroughs and pray also for those to whom we witness to have breakthroughs.
- Pray for wisdom for YWAM corporately and individually that we would rightly honour the policies of our governments.
- Pray for YWAMers to stand firm against the enemy during these times of change and isolation. Pray instead that YWAMers would receive blessings from the Lord during this time.
- Find out more about Global Outreach 2020: https://www.globaloutreachday.com/. Celebrate and communicate results on Global Outreach Day, May 30.
- If you would like to financially partner with the Middle Eastern outreach noted above, go to: is www.ywamorganic.org/donate/jor and under the projects drop down box chose “Neighbours Relief.” The information for mailing checks is on the web page. Please make sure you include a note so they know how to designate the funds.
- If you would like to donate to help YWAM CM in Thailand deliver emergency food packs to their neighbours, go to: https://www.ywamcm.com/fooddrive
- If you are able, prayer walk in your neighbourhood regularly during the month of May. Ask God to put people in your path. Who seems open? Who are you seeing repeatedly? Start a conversation that can lead to Jesus.
- Make a list of lost people that you know. Ask God to reveal one person each day. Follow up with that person through a phone call or using other technology.
- Go deeper with God. Rest in Him. Cultivate new quiet time/worship time habits.
- Identify tools you can use to increase your online communication. Reach out to others to find new tools and learn new ideas. See recent YWAM News at ywam.org to learn more about these creative ideas:
- 24-hour prayer chains in Brazil
- YWAM TV Connect talk show with host Maarit Eronen
- Weekly video calls from YWAM leaders
- Online devotionals
- Online worship gatherings
- Reach out to others who may need help connecting.
- Follow the YWAM Coronavirus Prayer Group on Facebook.
- Share on facebook.com/youthwithamission, post a picture and add a comment about how you prayed.
- Go to twitter.com; search for #praywithywam and tweet about your prayer time/post a picture. You can also post a photo on Instagram and use the same hashtag, #praywithywam.
- Send an email to [email protected] letting us know how you prayed and what God revealed to you
How We Prayed:
April 2020 – Coronavirus Part One
- YWAM Republic of Guinea prayed using the French version of The Invitation.
- YWAM India prayed and received Psalm 119, specifically verses 68: You are good and do only good; teach me your principles. And 71: The suffering you sent was good for me, for it taught me to pay more attention to your principles.
- YWAM Perth provided notes from their time of prayer. Key concepts included: rest in God and go deeper with Him and advancement of the gospel will happen in this time. They were also given song lyrics “Did you feel the mountains tremble? Open up the doors and let the music play!” They were given John 14:15-27, Psalm 95:1-7, Psalm 96 and Jeremiah 29:11.
- YWAM Cameroon was given 2 Timothy 4:1-2 (NIV): In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage-with great patience and careful instruction. (Emphasis added.)
- We heard similar themes from others associated with YWAM.
- We received the picture above from a YWAMer working in Kolkata. They are raising funds for families like this who have no income due to the lock-down.
- June 11: Series: Spiritual Principles from YWAM’s Early Days
Fear of God (Ramona Musch) – 4 of 4 in the series
- July 9: Ending Bible Poverty (Loren Cunningham)
Don’t Miss The Invitation:
- Sign up for prayer updates. Go to ywam.org, find the “Stay Connected” box on the home page, put in your email address and click “Sign Up.”
- Download prayer updates in a specific language. Go to ywam.org/theinvitation. (Currently available in Spanish, Portuguese, French, Indonesian, Korean or request other languages.)
- Join the conversation about how God is leading in these prayer times. Comment on the Facebook page on the second Thursday at facebook.com/youthwithamission or on Twitter @ywam, hashtag #praywithywam. You can also post a photo on Instagram and use the same hashtag, #praywithywam.
- You can now listen to The Invitation as a podcast. To sign up or listen to past episodes, go to: ywampodcast.net/prayer.
- If you sense God giving you a word or a direction for YWAM’s prayer, please contact us: [email protected].