The Invitation, March 11, 2021
This month, please join YWAM’s prayer day, called The Invitation, as we lift up the city of Tripoli, Libya. In Tripoli, cafes are places where the elderly and the young meet to socialize, gossip, argue and plan. Hassan is one of Tripoli’s 1,165,000 Muslim residents, and he goes to a café to visit a group of friends, international students he met at university. They talk about politics, sports, and religion. Several of them are Christians and Hassan is interested in their beliefs, having never met a Christian before. Please pray for the Muslims in Tripoli, and for the growing number of Christians.
- Islam is the state religion in Libya. Pray for greater freedom, socially and legally, to talk about different faiths so people can learn about Jesus (John 16:33).
- Tripoli remains always on the edge of conflict, with ongoing violence from civil war. Extremist groups surround the city. Pray for peace (Psalm 2).
- Pray for cafes to become centres of discipleship, with many more Muslims coming to follow Jesus (John 8:31-32). Cafes are a place people go to exchange ideas and get to know new people. This makes them an ideal environment for discipleship.
Suggestions for Group Prayer:
- Before praying, discuss the things you would want your Muslim friends to know about Jesus. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you who to share this with.
- Set up an area for prayer that mimics a café that might be found in a large city like Tripoli. Have people sit 2 or more at various tables. Before you pray, discuss what it might be like to be a Christian sitting among friends sharing your faith. Discuss what it might be like to be a Muslim hearing about your Christian friend’s faith.
- Assign a small group to conduct basic research on Tripoli including facts, statistics, maps, pictures and to present this information to the group before praying.
- Find out more about YWAM in North Africa.
- Find out more about the region around Tripoli at gosahara.org.
- Participate in 30 Days of Prayer for the Muslim World April 13 – May 12, 2021. The information about Tripoli was adapted from the upcoming 30 Days guide. This prayer movement began at a YWAM meeting in 1992. This year, the guide focuses on a different city every day. You can go to pray30days.org and get prayer guides in 40 different languages.
How We Prayed
February 2021 – Loneliness
- An individual from Jeju, South Korea was led to pray for single male ministers.
- YWAM Bangkok, Thailand prayed for those isolated by Covid and God led them to make phone calls to those in isolated/remote areas.